Saturday, March 01, 2008

Subtleties


+




+



=

Behold my latest weaving project (actually, there's been more weaving since, but I'm just now getting around to posting pictures of it).

I had hoped that once finished, the color gradation of this scarf would be a little more apparent. I like the way it turned out - it's just a little more subtle than I had anticipated.
For the warp, I chose two colors of hand dyed laceweight alpaca from Fearless Fibers. I have to say - I love this yarn!! It was dyed beautifully, and felt silky soft while weaving it up. I will definitely buy more from this Etsy shop in the future. I have to use up some of my weaving yarn stash first, though, before I can justify buying more yarn (although I do count my weaving yarn stash separately from my knitting yarn stash - it's a perfect excuse to double my allowable yarn quota!)

For the weft, I chose Yarn Place's Graceful cobweb weight wool in Summer Dusk. The pattern is simply plain weave with the warp colors sleyed in random order.
I had originally planned to use this yarn to knit a lace shawl, but after swatching decided that knitting with cobweb yarn was too ambitious for me, and it has sat in a basket ever since. I'm so happy I finally found a use for this yarn! There are a gazillion yards of it on the skein, so it's likely you'll see it again from me as this scarf barely seemed to make a dent in the ball.
My next project is already off the loom and I'm working on finishing it up over the next couple of days. I'm making zippered bags out of handwoven fabric (and I've never installed a zipper before). Thankfully, I wove enough fabric to make three bags so I've got lots of room for practice. Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home