Sunday, January 21, 2007

Think About It

If you had to start your yarn stash over from scratch, how much of it would you purchase again?

That's the question I'm asking myself after what happened on Thursday. I came home from running errands and our house was on fire. Standing in our living room with smoke swirling around me was a surreal experience I hope to never go through again.

Faced with a split second decision of what to grab on the way out of the house, the bewildered smoky cats won out over my yarn stash. We ultimately lost two rooms and the entire house is smoke damaged (sadly, my stash smells like it's spent a good long time in a biker bar). Our new "normal" is living in a hotel with two kittens - quite an experience (and not one I'd heartily endorse). At this point we're not sure how long it will take to put the house back in a habitable state. I guess in looking on the bright side - there's not much to do in a hotel room - maybe I'll finally get some knitting done.

10 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger C+SK said...

OH MY GOODNESS! That is awful!! I am so sorry! Is there anything I can do besides a big hug and happy thoughts going your way??

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Shelby said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! What a horrible thing to come home to! I"m so glad that no one was hurt!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Oh, I am so sorry. That's just awful, but thank God you and your kitties are all right. I'll be thinking of you the next few weeks.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Creative Genius? said...

oh my good lord - glad to know you and the cats are ok!! good thing yarn is easy to replace!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger shadowlands said...

I'm so sorry! Warm thoughts and prayers are wending their way to you.

About the yarn - try filling a big rubbermaid container with scoopable cat litter - scented, but not the cheap stuff. Bury your yarn in it for a couple of weeks with the lid on. The smoky smell should be gone. Or, alternatively, you could febreeze it on a mild, dry day and leave it outside to air. The litter would most likely work best, though.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Oh no! I am so sad to hear that, a very good friend of ours house burned down this past Monday...and my heart aches to hear that your did as well. Please know you are in my thoughts & prayers!

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger mainiax said...

Thank goodness you are safe, things can be replaced.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger m said...

I'm so sorry to hear your news.
I can't imagine the horror of a fire at home.
I'll be thinking of you.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo sorry to hear about your home. Thank heavens you and the kitties are safe and sound. Is there anything we knitters can do for you? Don't be afraid to ask. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

I am a fire survivor as well. Unfortunately, I haven't learned much from the experience, still accumulating stacks of stuff.

Thinking of you,
Li

 

Post a Comment

<< Home