Monday, December 19, 2005

Remembrance and Contemplation

Sometimes introspection hits us in the most surprising of ways. I was flipping through some old photos tonight, when there they were...my father's eyes staring back at me. I haven't seen a picture of my father since the day of his funeral. The picture was taken at my nephew's baptism - a seemingly happy occasion. But even then, I knew - there were so many things I wanted to tell him, to show him, to give him, but I knew then that we were on borrowed time.

My father was a concert pianist. From a very young age I sat beside him, entranced as his fingers magically danced across the keys swirling music all around us. Sadly, as he grew sicker, he played less and less, frustrated and embarrassed that his fingers had lost their dexterity, until a few notes during the holidays was all the music I could hope for. Last Christmas, after I'd said goodnight and climbed beneath the covers, I heard the last carols I'd ever hear him play. As I lay in the quiet, a few notes crept through the silence, and then a chord, then a few hesitant bars of "O' Holy Night" began. Ever a proud man, he'd waited to play until I wasn't watching his trembling fingers struggle to find the right keys. I crept out of bed and stood in the darkness and let his music fill my soul.

Of my father's possessions, there was only one thing I wanted after he passed away - his sheet music. From his notes in the margins to dog-eared corners turned down to mark his favorite songs, a treasured piece of him is forever embedded in those well-worn pages. This holiday season I am hopeful that someday soon we'll have a child to share our lives with. And tonight, as I gazed upon his picture, I knew - although they will never meet the way I would have liked, our child and my father will find a way to know each other through his music - as those pages turn, the beloved notes of Christmas carols past will weave indelible melodies into future dreams.

So, to all those who have lost something in their lives, whether it be a spouse, a parent, a lover, a dream - turn your face towards the stars, and let promise fall upon you this Christmas eve - after all, Santa's kind of known for dropping hope out of the sky.

4 Comments:

At 4:39 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Hang in there Heather. I can only imagine how tough it was to lose your Father this year.

I hope you will have a child in your future!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

What a beautiful post. Life is so full of losses. I lost my father when I was 16. My husband's mother died this past year and she, too was a wonderful pianist, crippled with arthritis. Finally, I've been saddened recently having lost a former employee at the age of 27. She was diagnosed with scleroderma shortly after her summer intenship with us 18 months ago. All three of these losses come with wonderful memories of the people they were.

Thanks for visiting my blog. The feather and fan scarf was made from Grignasco Top Print - 100% alpaca, one of my favourite yarns.
Li

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

That's actually not a feather and fan, but a herringbone rib scarf that I'll be posting about later this week. It's Manos del Uruguay colour #113, but it is actually darker than most I've seen of the same colourway.
Li

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

One more try - you're going to think I'm nuts. I just realized that you were referring to the previous post when enquiring about the yarn. The brownish yarn in the Rainbow scarf is Granbia. I've only heard of it being carried in two stores in North America; it's a Japanese product. Lang Tosca is similar.

I'm recovering from knee surgury and don't have ready access to my e-mail - sorry for overloading your comments!
Li

 

Post a Comment

<< Home