Monday, November 21, 2005

Party of One

There are some things in life that I think people just can't understand unless they've lived them. You can't know what it's like to be different race, a member of the opposite sex, or an infertile woman, unless you are. You may be able to relate to being, or think you're sure of what it must entail, but you simply can't know what it's like.

Case in point: Chuck E. Cheese Pizza - an overwhelming venue on the best of days. Nonetheless, it was the bistro de jour for a lunch recently with several of my girlfriends. All of them have children, so it was a logical choice. They all know I'm infertile, and to mitigate the choice of a kid-centric spot for lunch they decided not to let me pay for my meal. Instead, my $20 was turned down with the following statement:

You aren't worth anything. It's just you.

Now, normally the thought of a free lunch is quite appealing. Free pizza? Even better. As an infertile woman, however, this innocuous statement glanced off my cheek just as squarely as if my friend had stuck out her fist. I know what she meant. But what she said got me to thinking - is our value as adults reduced to a measure of the little people we've produced? And if so, if I never become a parent, biological or otherwise, do I cease to exist? What if I only fulfill alternate roles in life outside of parenthood? Does being a wife, a writer, a daughter, an artist hold equal weight to changing diapers, attending soccer games and kissing away scabbed knees?

Before you answer what you think is right - consider this. You won't ever know. You can't, unless you've lived the other scenario. As that scale tips precariously ask yourself - If it were possible to carefully measure each side, would you be defined by the people you love or by those who love you? Either way it's just you in the center. Surrounded by all the worth in the world.

5 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Heather said...

i have had the same reaction for the opposite! strangers would scream at me one the streets of D.C. for being "knocked up" when i could have had a career.
aren't people just stupid in their judgemental preconcieved notions of what a woman's worth is? my grandmother always told us if we werent beautiful, we were worthless, and without a man you are evenless!
makes me wanna read maya angelou's poem about being a woman to them!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger jenifleur said...

I feel your pain. I can't even go to baby showers anymore. And do you ever get tired of everyone's suggestions on how to get pregnant? What worked for them, their sister, their cousin's friend? Bleh. I feel like my friends with kids don't treat me like an equal sometimes. Hell, even a friend of mine who gave up hers for adoption loves to talk about her pregnancy and birth just to show, you know, SHE'S IN THE CLUB. Well you are not alone and you know you are somebody important!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Elspeth said...

I can't believe how oblivious people can be! What a comment, whether you wanted kids or not! I'm sure there are many people out there who never had kids but are worth more than lots of people who procreated.

You're pretty brave, too, I know many moms who won't take their kids to Chuck E. Cheese and you took it on. Congratulations!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger tocspaw said...

I am constantly amazed at the things that just fly out of people's mouths sometimes. Funny how many folks are convinced that I should just relax and try the latest thing that they heard about from a friend. See, here's the thing...I consider myself lucky - I know what my fertility problem is. The unlucky part is that it's not really fixable. So, when someone comments on my lack of children, I just want to force them to look into my eyes and tell me how many babies they've had die in their wombs. And if that answer is "none", I hope they gather up their well meaning advice along with their children, and toddle off with a little more appreciation of what they have.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On behalf of that thoughtless woman, I want to apologize to you. I'm sure she thought she was being funny or clever, but she was wrong. I am so sorry that someone would have the audacity to even infer that you are anything less than perfect and complete. You are, and she was wrong.

~Susie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home