Friday, October 21, 2005

Freeform Knitting Swap

I was wandering around Barnes and Noble the other day and picked up a book on freeform knitting. After reading just a couple of pages, I was hooked. I am now collecting little bits and pieces of yarn to try my first freeform project. I'm especially looking for bits of handspun, or hand-dyed, or anything with texture. Since I have a limited about of leftovers in my own stash, I was thinking about organizing a free form knitting swap. We could all look in our stashes to see what we could spare a few yards of, and exchange away. So, here's a plea to my fellow knitters - if you have a yard or two of leftover yarn that you don't know what to do with, please let me know!

In other news, I ordered some laceweight yarn from handpaintedyarn.com, and it's finally here! I ordered Pagoda, which turned out to be a wonderful deep wine color, and Verdeazule, which while darker than the picture on their website, is still a beautiful blend of dark blues and greens. It reminds me of the colors of black watch plaid. This is my first time using this yarn, so I am anxious to see how it knits up!

3 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger eve knits said...

hey, great idea! maybe this site can help :). http://www.swap-bot.com/

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger tocspaw said...

Thanks for the idea - that's a cool service! So far there hasn't been much interest, but if it takes off, this certainly seems like a big help!

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Logan said...

Do you have a quilt guild in your area? Some quilters (myself included) use yarn as embellishments, so often end up buying a whole ball when they only need a few yards. You may want to try and hook up with a quilting group and do an exchange with them.

Last time I went crazy buying single skeins of novelty yarn for quilting, I then divided each ball into four, kept one set for myself, and sent the others to three other quilters (my Mom, my Aunt, and my friend Anne).

Have fun once you get started!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home