Thursday, September 01, 2005

It IS divine…

spir·i·tu·al
adj.
  1. of soul: relating to the soul or spirit
  2. temperamentally or intellectually akin: connected by an
    affinity of the mind, spirit or temperament

My first attempt at working with yarn was a disaster. I decided I wanted to learn how to crochet, so in my usual fashion, I signed up for a class. Sadly, I came home from that first class frustrated, dejected, and with hands so badly cramped they hurt for days. The yarn I’d so painstakingly chosen went into the back of my closet where it sat, forgotten for almost two years. I don’t really know what made me decide to give it another try. I think stubbornness, most of all. So, with newfound determination, I sat down and taught myself to crochet from lessons on the internet. Alas, even as my skill (and confidence) grew, my interest in crocheting waned. A fuzzy novelty scarf in a LYS came to my rescue – yes, Fun Fur inspired me to learn to knit. And much to my surprise, my first knitted swatch was lopsided, uneven…..and absolutely beautiful.

I’ve been knitting now for almost two years. I’ve graduated from novelty yarn scarves to intricate lace patterns crafted from luxury fibers. For me, knitting has grown from a mere hobby to a spiritual addiction. Some people remember where they were when significant events happened in their lives. I remember what I was knitting. As I knit, my emotions travel through my fingertips, across the needles and burrow themselves into the plies of my yarn. Each stitch hides a secret, holding fast its tale of how it was knit while I joyously waited for my nephew to be born, or while I couldn’t sleep charged with anxiety over a life changing decision, or while I wrapped myself tightly in memories after my father passed away. Each project tells a story of who I was at that moment and what was important to me, as my soul tangled with the stitches. Is knitting spiritual? For me, absolutely. In fact, it’s divine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home