Friday, November 04, 2005

Imposter

Why is it that the yarn you pick on a whim always works, while the yarn you lust over for weeks and finally purchase specifically for a long awaited project doesn't sing when you cast on? I started the Baltic Sea Stole using laceweight yarn from handpaintedyarn.com that I ordered with this pattern in mind. The more stitches I knit, the more the yarn convinced me that I had chosen the wrong one. The yarn dropped subtle hints by mildly felting in my hands as I knit and pilling each time I tinked back to a missed stitch. Both of which are forgivable for something dainty, but not for a stole I hoped to throw over my shoulders to keep me warm at the hockey rink. Desperate to save itself, the yarn painted visions in my head of cold moist air and rough metal chairs attacking its longevity long before the 82 game season is over. After much arguing about how the color was still perfect, it convinced me. I just can't commit to putting in all that work for a stole that might fall apart in a few months. So, I've got to choose another yarn for my Baltic Sea stole, and the imposter yarn will become a lace scarf of my own design. Guess those 48,951 stole stitches have a little bit longer to wait while I pick the perfect superwash fingering weight companion.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you mean. I started clapotis 3 times because I wasn't in love with the yarn. Each time I agonized over the choice and thought what I picked was perfect. Now I think I have the perfect yarn. We will see.
Your SP6

 

Post a Comment

<< Home