Sunday, January 15, 2006

7 Hours

Today, my husband walked his first marathon. 7 hours was the cut off time to complete the race and have your time count. I stood at the last turn waiting for him, growing more anxious as each minute ticked by. Group after group passed me, some folks jogging by with little effort as if they had just started to warm up. One elderly gentleman power-walked around the curve, gripping a walker for support. One woman wept as her cramped legs made normal strides difficult. They came in groups, clusters, and one by one - willing themselves and each other to take just one more step, all searching deep inside to find that last bit of energy to carry them across the finish line.

As the clock counted down, my husband rounded the turn. 26.2 miles had taken their toll, but he was still walking with purpose - he was determined to make that 7 hour cut off time. A huge smile broke across his face as he stepped across the line with just minutes to spare. He made it, although not by much, and his time was nothing to brag about. But to me, the fact that he stuck with it, followed through, and finished it at all, IS something to brag about. He is a very tired man. And tonight, I am a very, very proud wife!!

4 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, Blogger StarKnits said...

i'm proud of you husband! that is awesome, i've always wanted to do some sort of marathon!

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Congratulations to your hubby! Ugh...the thought of it makes my legs cramp up!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger tocspaw said...

Me too!! I'm a night owl, so getting up early to walk mile after mile isn't going to happen. Now, if they had running clubs that met at night, I'd willing to give it a go!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

I could feel your anticipation. Congrats to him.
Li

 

Post a Comment

<< Home