Tuesday, July 11, 2006

FYS = Foreign Yarn Stores

One of the best things about taking a vacation is checking out new yarn stores. My ever patient hubby, and very enthusiastic mother in law agreed to accompany me to two yarn stores on our recent trip to Chicago/Iowa. Now, there seem to be a gazillion yarn stores in the Chicago metro area, so choosing just two to visit was a difficult task (made infinitely easier by aforementioned hubby pointing out where we were going on the map and saying "make them close").

Our first stop was String Theory Yarn Company in Glen Ellyn, IL. By the time we made it through Chicago rush hour traffic to the shop, it was a half hour before closing time. Still, our salesperson was incredibly friendly, talkative and more than willing to per
use books in search of yarn/pattern combinations for me. I picked up a hank of Schaefer Laurel in the Rachel Carson colorway, which is slated to become the perfect lemon-lime toddler sweater.

Next stop was Loopy Yarns in downtown Chicago. Since I didn't check store hours before we went, we spent a bit of time sitting on the front stoop of the store listening to the trains go by waiting for the store to open. Our salesclerk was decidedly less friendly than we had experienced at String Theory (well, real
ly, than we had experienced pretty much anywhere), but the selection of yarn was incredible. Lots of yarns that I've only read about within reach to see and fondle in person. I immediately threw my promise to myself of "I'll only buy yarn I need" out the window and selected a skein of the most gorgeous laceweight I have seen in a while. I have enough lace patterns lined up to last a lifetime (even if I knit them full time!), so choosing just one to suit this beautiful yarn will be difficult.

I also finally found a pattern for a toddler cardigan that will work with the Inca natural cotton yarn I bought at a show recently. Still isn't the hoodie pattern I was hoping to find, but I think it will do. All in all, it was a great trip!!

1 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

I kniw what you mena, I made my crew stop at six yarn shops between Vancouver anc Edmonton one summer.
Li

 

Post a Comment

<< Home