Friday, May 05, 2006

SP8 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I prefer knitting with soft, natural fibers (merino, alpaca or silk). I am also crazy about handspun yarns that are textural – the nubbier, slubbier the better. I am always on the lookout for new handspun/painted/dyed yarns from smaller distributors/farms. I usually steer clear of acrylics and novelty yarns (although they do have their occasional uses).

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have a beautiful needle case, but I still store my needles in a big ziplock bag - I like the see-through-ness of the bag – if I can’t see it, I forget I have it. I'd love to get my hands on an Ashland Sky Knit Stick Sack.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

Advanced beginner to intermediate – I know how to knit scarves, socks, and hats. I can felt a bag, knit cables and have tried my hand at lace. I'm working on my first adult sized sweater. Truthfully, I think I could knit 20 years and still consider myself a beginning knitter - to truly know the craft takes a lifetime.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Amazon list under "tocspaw" - http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ref=cm_gft_sub_wl/104-1778803-5483155?%5Fencoding=UTF8"

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

I like lavender, citrus, and things that smell like rain.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I’m a candy junkie (faves are Sweettarts, Nerds, Smarties, Skittles, Starbursts). I love chocolate, too (although shipping chocolate to the Arizona desert intact might be a challenge). Please don’t send chocolate or coffee with flavored with nuts, though, due to severe allergies.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I enjoy pretty much anything crafty (fiber arts, paper arts, etc.). I also work with various metals (silver, copper) forming jewelry/vessels, as well as with glass (stained glass, lampworking). I don't spin yet but I received a drop spindle as a gift so it's on my list of things to learn. I'm also taking a weaving class right now.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I am a music nut, have a bazillion CDs and am always looking to listen to something new. My tastes are a bit eclectic - alternative music, some pop, some new age instrumental, some opera. Pretty much anything but hip hop, rap, or country. My computer can play MP3s (I also have an I-pod).

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I love most earth tones and deep jewel tones – particularly brick reds, golds, deep greens, teals and purples. My least favorite shades include bright primary colors and pastels (baby blue, pale pink, mint green, etc.).

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I'm married to my high school sweetheart; currently we are in the process of adopting a daughter from China. I have a polydactyl Maine Coon kitty who's two years old in every sense of the word.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I live in the desert, so sadly, I don’t have much of a need for warm clothing. Inexplicably, that doesn’t stop me from knitting it. Now if it would just get cold enough to show it off…

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Lately, I’ve been knitting a little bit of everything - lace, socks, felting. I usually have one or two involved projects going on, and at least one I can knit in front of the TV.

13. What are you knitting right now?

A baby blanket for a friend (which I'm frantically trying to finish before her daughter makes her debut!)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Love it!! There is nothing better than receiving a gift that someone put their heart and time into, imperfections and all.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

It depends on the project – I've got needles of all types that I use for different things.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I own a yarn winder, but not a swift.

17. How did you learn to knit?

I took a class at my LYS.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?

I finally finished my oldest UFO and shipped it off to the Red Scarf Project. My next oldest UFO is a crocheted blanket that I started before I learned to knit. I'm hoping to finish it up one of these days as soon as I can remember how to work the pattern.

19. What is your favorite holiday?

Thanksgiving.

20. Is there anything that you collect?

Teas
Hand-blown glass Christmas ornaments
Prisms
Unusual baskets
Things that sparkle, dangle, or look especially cool in miniature

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Books: My knitting library is pretty bare - the field of books I don’t have is wide open. See my Amazon list for wish ideas.

Yarns: I would like to try yarns from Mystical Creations and Brooks Farm, as well as Collinette Giotto, Koigu, Morehouse Merino, Alchemy Haiku, Diakeito Diamusee and Artyarns Ultramerino.

Patterns:
Silvia Harding - Diamond Fantasy Shawl
Silvia Harding - Shetland Garden Faroese Shawl
Fiddlesticks - Lotus Blossom Shawl
ChicKnits - Ribby Cardi
La Lana Patterns - The Wings of the Swan Ruana (as seen in INKnitters Fall ‘04)
Veronik Avery's Shawl Collar Cardigan pattern (Spring 2004 Interweave Knits)
Jaeger's Lily sweater pattern (JB40)

Needles: I’d love to try Lantern Moon ebony needles, but I’m too cheap to buy them for myself. DPNs in sizes larger than 4.

Miscellaneous: Susan Bates Wafer Thin stitch markers, Brittany cable needle

I have a subscription to Interweave Knits.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Does how to knit faster so I could finish a WIP some time this year count? If not, I'd like to try Entrelac, and improve my finishing techniques.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I do enjoy knitting (and wearing!) socks. I don’t know my exact foot measurements, but I wear a size 6 shoe (foot is approximately 9” long), and I like the cuff to be about 6” high.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

August 16.

2 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh WONDERFUL, now I have some colours to go on here.

I realised in all the attempts for secrecy - something I am not much good at, I am a blurter - that I did not leave you with an e-mail address. I sent you an e-mail today, so now you can respond, BUT since I have what I need from your secret pal questionnaire, I am off and ready to choose some sock colour combos just for you.

Here's to some fun dyeing!

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some good ideas on your questionnaire for me to follow:) Looking forward to spoiling you in SP8:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home